Saturday, June 12, 2010

Is London the hub of Bollywood in UK, possibly even Europe?


Recently, I went to London for an interview. Since I was making that 3 hour-long journey and spending some amount of money on the tickets, I thought to myself, it makes sense that I should make most of the trip. So I started looking for anything to do with Bollywood in London and although I was expecting it, the number of things to do still stumped me.

There were obviously the massive population of Asians and their ghetto-like colonies (there are apparently more Indians in London alone than in France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Portugal combined), then there were the cinema halls that play popular Hindi films right along with the usual Hollywood fare and even the London tourism department encourages tourists with the help of a map of popular locations in London where Bollywood films have been shot!

Then there are Bollywood schools for acting and dancing, places like Selfridges, who had an exclusive Bollywood collection in 2002, all sorts of Bollywood experts-- studying and teaching Bollywood as a course and whatnot.

Almost makes me wish I was doing this project from London and not from Bournemouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment