I hope you will excuse the fact that I couldn't find songs from before the 5o's, so a popular 50's song was 'Tu Ganga Ki Mauj (You're a wave from Ganges)' from Biju Bawra:
It's supposed to be one of the most romantic songs. Very melodious as well.
1960's : after the colour revolution: 'Jab Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya (Why fear when you have loved)' from Mughal-E-Azam.
Definitely one of the classics, well received by everyone. My parents still think the charm of this song has not been achieved by anyone else.
1970's: This is where it starts getting difficult. Too many brilliant and popular songs to represent ten whole years. But I will still try, I can only try. Although that doesn't mean that the songs below are best of the lot, they just happen to be the first few that come to mind!
Moving on: 'Hum tum ek kamre band ho (Both of us shut in one room)' from Bobby.
It's my personal favourite! Also deserve a definite mention: Pagh Ghoongru from Namak Halal, Om Shanti Om from Karz, Satyam Shivam Sundaram from Satyam Shivam Sundaram. Google them!
Madhuri Dixit at her peak, again, one of my favourites! Also recommend Pehla Nasha from Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, Dil Deewana Bin Sajnake from Maine Pyaar Kiya, Intehaa Ho Gayi from Sharabi.
1990s: Now this is the phase of Bollywood that I remember, because I grew up during this time. After very serious thinking, I've brought it down to just one song and know that this is only one of the best songs of the 90s- Mehendi Laga Ke Rakhna (like the subtitles put it: Make sure your hands are painted with henna) from Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.
Other recommendations: any song from the movie Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Dil Toh Pagal Hai, Hum Aapke Hai Kaun, Kaho Na Pyaar Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Judwaa, Mohra...oh I could just go on.
And 2000s: Dola re Dola (roughly: my heart started dancing?!) from Devdas. Shahrukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai and Madhuri Dixit with fantastic sets, awesome costumes and a tragic love story based on an Indian novel. What's not to like?
Finally I'm going to leave you with a word of caution. More like a video of caution. Too much viewing and listening of Bollywood songs may lead to this:
No comments:
Post a Comment